|Cut off time||12hrs|
|Entry closing||The day before the race!|
|Categories||Masters A(30-39), B(40-49), C(50-59), D(60+), E(Women), Open|
“Spartakiada” is Greece’s greatest cyclosportive event linking the two most important cities of ancient Greece, Athens & Sparta. In old days professional messengers ran the distance in two days, today we use bicycles to challenge our endurance and cover the distance between 8 to 12 hours!
The event is organised by the Hellenic Bicycle Union of Veteran Athletes. It starts in front of one of the most attractive places in the capital city of Athens, the Panathenaic Stadium or Kallimarmaron, the athletic stadium that hosted the first modern Olympic Games in 1896. “Spartakiada” finishes after 257km in the city of Sparta, a prominent city-state in ancient Greece, situated on the banks of the Eurotas River in Laconia, in south-eastern Peloponnese, right in front of the King Leonidas statue. You will be riding through the cities of Korinthos, Tripoli and the beautiful landscape of Northern Peloponnesus.
The administration of all international registrations for 2018 is handled exclusively by KARMA Sports. Foreign participants can choose to:
- either select the Karma Sports Package,
- or select our support package.
Karma Sports Package, 400€
Our complete service package includes the following (hotels might change):
- Event registration.
- 1 night, bed & breakfast, accommodation a 3 star hotel or AirBnB apartment.
- 1 night, bed & breakfast, accommodation at the Dioscouri hotel Sparta(TripAdvisor).
- Pre race warm up and stretch ride from Athens towards the Poseidon’s Temple at Cape Sounio.
- All transfers from Athens to Sparta and vice versa.
- Dinner following completion of the race.
- Technical and nutritional support during the race.
- Road bike hire depending on availability. Ask for a quote. See specs here.
- Travel insurance.
- Hotel drinks.
- Transportation to and from the airport. Service is available at an extra cost of 35€ per single route.
05/10/2018 Friday – Warm Up Ride
- 14:00 – Departure from the hotel to Vouliagmeni.
- 15:00 – Ride start (escorted ride).
- 17:30 – Coffee break at the Poseidon’s temple at cape Sounio.
- 19:00 – Return to the hotel (ride or car option).
06/10/2018 Saturday – Road Race
- 06:00 – Departure from the hotel.
- 06:30 – Technical control, Kallimarmaro.
- 07:30 – Race start, Kallimarmaro.
- 19:30 – Race finish, Track & Field Stadium, Leonidas’ statue (cut off time 12hrs), Sparta.
- 18:00 – Dinner, Sparta local restaurants (place to be confirmed later in the year).
- 21:00 – Awards ceremony, Sparta’s Municipal Indoor Sports Centre.
07/10/2018 Sunday – Return Journey
- 15:00 – Return journey to Athens (You may return on Saturday after the race but you need to request that during your registration).
Support Package, 120€
- Registration fee.
- Technical support.
- Nutritional support: water, isotonic drink, energy bars, gels.
- Baggage transportation from the race start to Sparta.
- Dinner at Sparta.
- Return transportation from Sparta to Athens.
Statistics – Results
Based on 2013 event’s results.
- Best time 08:10 on an average speed of 30.49km/h.
- Average time 09:44 on an average speed of 25.74km/h.
View speed graph here.